Modern Engineering Simulation Environments
- “Maximizing the value of your CAE investments”
- October 2011
- (Abstract) Today’s manufacturing industries are under continuous pressure to deliver more innovative, competitive products faster. As product complexity increases, the use of Computer-Aided Engineering (CAE) is also increasing because simulation of both components and complete systems is required to understand and validate product behavior and make informed design decisions more quickly. Engineers need to predict and validate product behavior as early as possible in the development cycle. They also need to collaborate among multifunctional teams spread around the world. This paper presents the challenges that companies face in selecting and deploying suitable modern, productive CAE environments across relevant CAE user organizations to achieve collaborative business benefits, defines the key necessary elements of such environments, and describes how Siemens PLM’s NX CAE responds to those needs.
- (Abstract抄訳) 今日の製造業は、より革新的で競争力ある製品を迅速にデリバリーするというプレッシャーに日々さらされています。製品の複雑さが増すにつれて、コンポーネントや最終製品いずれもシミュレーションでふるまい (behavior) を理解・検証し、十分なる情報での意思決定 (インフォームド・デシジョン) をより迅速に行うために必要なCAE (Computer-Aided Engineering) の利用が増加しています。エンジニアは、製品開発サイクルのできるだけ早い段階に製品のふるまいを予見し、検証することが必要になっています。企業は、世界中に分散している多機能なチームとのコラボレーション (共同作業) をさらに必要としています。本書は、コラボレーションでのビジネス利益・効果を達成するために、関連するCAEユーザの組織を横断する適切且つ最新の生産性の高いCAE環境を選択し、展開する際に企業が面している課題 (challenge) を述べ、そのような環境に必要とされる重要な要素を明らかにし、シーメンスPLMのNX CAEがそれらのニーズにどのように応えているかを説明します。
Simulation Lifecycle Management
- “More than data management for simulation”
- September 2011
- As product complexity increases, manufacturing industries are under continuous pressure to deliver innovative, competitive products faster. To do this, they are increasing the use of simulation and analysis (S&A) to better understand and validate product behavior, and to make more informed design decisions. Managing this expanding S&A environment (the analysis tools, data and processes) is more and more important—and it needs to be integrated with the enterprise’s overall product development environment. This paper presents the challenges that companies face in deploying modern, productive simulation lifecycle management (SLM) environments, defines the key necessary elements of such environments, indicates the benefits that SLM can deliver, and describes how Dassault Systèmes SIMULIA SLM product suite responds to those needs.
Smarter Decisions - Differentiating Products
- “The Strategic Value of Business Intelligence in PLM”
- September 2011
- (Abstract) Today businesses around the world, irrespective of their industries, are under continuous pressure to deliver competitive products faster and are implementing PLM solutions to help address this issue. As PLM solutions manage more product related information and processes, it is essential that companies be able to find, report and leverage that intellectual property. Business Intelligence (BI) solutions provide the keys to that knowledge. This paper presents needs and challenges that companies are currently facing in quickly deploying flexible BI solutions and their use in PLM. It also presents eQ Technologic’s “Rapid-BI” solution (called “eQube®-BI”) which has been designed to provide companies an ability to deploy agile BI solutions that can be quickly adapted to their changing business needs.
Overcoming the Barriers Imposed by Geometry
- “SpaceClaim Empowers CAE Analysts”
- July 2011
- (Abstract) CAE analysts often face the burden of poor quality and over-detailed geometric models in preparing finite element meshing for analysis. However, end users of SpaceClaim Engineer testify that the application is making a valued impact to alleviate these barriers. To surmount those problems, a solution must be able to import an extensive range of CAD model formats found in the industry and also support an intuitive user interface that is easy to learn for non-CAD experts. SpaceClaim boasts a positive record in each case in the opinion of their customers. McCormick Stevenson, an engineering services company, finds that SpaceClaim serves as a great arbiter of geometry and boasts, “anything can be imported.” The broad appeal of SpaceClaim Engineer as a tool for CAE analysts is further touted by Stig Staghøj Knudsen, a naval architect and CFD expert from Ramboll Group A/S in Denmark. For them, SpaceClaim cleans up CAD models in new ways not previously available saving a lot of product development time in the process.
Visual Components for Factory Simulation
- “Scalable Robotic & Material Flow Production Simulation on a Single Platform”
- May 2011
- (Abstract) This report describes the business drivers for factory simulation and a solution suite from Visual Components that provides an affordable solution for companies of all sizes. CIMdata interviewed a number of Visual Components’ users to validate that the solution described is useful across a range of company sizes and in a number of industry segments. The conclusion CIMdata has reached is that the Visual Components suite is reportedly easy to deploy and use and provides a level of production planning and simulation that compares very well with that provided by other factory simulation tools.
The Power of Partnership
- “Why Working Smarter Matters”
- March 2011
- Today’s manufacturing industries are under continuous global pressure to quickly respond to their customer’s needs by delivering innovative products faster while operating in a more efficient manner. Meeting these challenges requires companies to work smarter. They need to be better able to optimize all the resources of the business while removing boundaries and inefficiencies between their organizational silos. This paper describes the challenges companies are facing, why and how they need to work smarter, how a SOA-based enterprise information and process management approach enables a smarter business, and how IBM and Siemens PLM Software have teamed to form an alliance that leverages the strengths of each to enable companies to accelerate their business.
The Increasing Value of SOA-Based Unified Architectures for PLM
- “Harmonizing the Environment”
- February 2011
- (Abstract) Today’s manufacturing industries are under continuous pressure to deliver competitive products faster and are implementing PLM solutions to help address this issue. As PLM solutions expand to encompass the complete lifecycle, they are becoming increasingly complex and harder to maintain. SOA-based unified PLM architectures are helping reduce this complexity while improving user and organizational productivity. This paper presents the challenges that companies are currently facing, defines a SOA-based unified PLM architecture approach, describes the benefits that it can deliver, discusses factors companies should consider in evaluating whether to transition to a unified architecture, and discusses approaches to such a transition. This paper is not a review of any specific architecture. Instead it is intended to provide an overview of such architectures, their potential value, and issues to consider in making a transition decision.
- (Abstract抄訳) 今日の製造業界は、競争力のある製品を迅速に提供しなければならないというプレッシャーに常にさらされており、この課題を対処するためにPLMソリューションを導入しています。PLMソリューションの範囲が拡大しライフサイクル全体を網羅するようになるにつれ、PLMソリューションはますます複雑になり、維持することが困難になっています。PLMのSOAベースのユニファイドアーキテクチャは、このような複雑さの軽減に役立つと同時に、ユーザと組織の生産性を高めています。本書では、現在企業が直面している課題を示し、PLMでのSOAベースのユニファイドアーキテクチャについてのアプローチを定義して、このアプローチによって実現される利益・効果 (Benefits) を紹介し、企業がユニファイドアーキテクチャへの移行判断の際に考慮する必要がある要素について述べ、またその移行へのアプローチについて説明します。本書は、特定のアーキテクチャに関するレビューではなく、PLMにおけるユニファイドアーキテクチャの概要、潜在的価値、移行判断の際に考慮すべき事項について説明することを目的としています。